When it comes to whole food, plant-based vegan recipes, the recipes I love most are often quick to make and easy to assemble. That’s where my go-to avocado toast recipe comes in!
A couple of summers ago, Ben and I took a spontaneous road trip to Nashville, Tennessee. We visited a coffee shop called Crema, and their avocado toast was so delicious — when we returned home, I put my own spin on their recipe with the ingredients we had, and it’s quickly become my favorite way to make avocado toast!
Easy Avocado Toast Recipe
- Citrus Squeezer
- 1 Slice Whole Grain Bread Toasted
- 1 Avocado Peeled, Pitted, and Lightly Mashed
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ½ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Handful Broccoli Sprouts
- Peel, pit, and lightly mash avocado. Set aside.
- Toast 1 slice of whole grain bread to your desired level.
- Spread lightly-mashed avocado on toasted whole grain bread.
- Slice and squeeze about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice on top of avocado toast.
- Sprinkle about ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes on top of avocado toast.
- Spread 1 handful of broccoli sprouts on top of avocado toast. Serve and enjoy!
Why is my avocado toast recipe healthy?
You might be wondering: What makes avocado toast healthy? For me, it’s all about the whole food, plant-based ingredients included in the recipe! Here are the latest findings from NutritionFacts.org:
- Whole Grain Bread: Eating whole grain bread appears to lower the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and stroke. (Source)
- Avocado: Avocados are a healthy source of fat, and help our bodies to absorb more nutrients from other whole foods we consume. (Source)
- Broccoli Sprouts: Broccoli sprouts may suppress cancer cell growth. (Source)
As you can see, today’s recipe is packed with nutrients and full of flavor, too! Finding new ways to make everyday recipes more flavorful with spices has been one of my personal favorite parts about eating a whole food, plant-based vegan diet.
I hope you enjoy today’s recipe! If you give today’s recipe a try, please comment below and let me know how you enjoyed it, too!
Lastly, if you’re looking for more whole food, plant-based recipes to try — please download my free 5-day whole food, plant-based meal plan! This meal plan not only contains 5 plant-based breakfast recipes, 5 plant-based lunch recipes, and 5 plant-based dinner recipes — but it also contains a whole food, plant-based grocery shopping list and 10 quick, easy plant-based snack ideas!4