This year, I’m celebrating my 4 year vegan anniversary! What could be a better way to celebrate than trying a healthy, whole food, vegan chickpea brownie recipe?!
What you’ll need to make healthy, vegan chickpea brownies:
Healthy, Vegan Chickpea Brownie Recipe
- Food Processor
- 8×8 Baking Pan
- 1 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 15 Ounce Can Chickpeas Rinsed and Drained
- ¼ Cup Coconut Oil Melted
- ⅓ Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed To Create a Flax Egg
- 5 Tablespoons Water To Create a Flax Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt
- ⅓ Cup Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips
Prepare Your Baking Pan
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- With a paper towel and a dab of extra virgin olive oil, lightly "grease" your 8×8 baking pan with extra virgin olive oil.
Prepare Your Flax Egg
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and 5 tablespoons of water. Mix well, and set aside for approximately 8 minutes. This mixture creates an "egg substitute" called a flax egg.
Prepare Your Brownie Batter
- Rinse and drain 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, and pour them in your food processor.
- Add ¼ cup of melted coconut oil and ⅓ cup of pure maple syrup to your food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, and ¼ teaspoon of sea salt to your food processor, and blend again until no lumps appear.
- Add your flax egg and blend again.
- Turn off your food processor, and fold in your desired amount of dairy-free chocolate chips.
Bake and Enjoy
- Pour your brownie batter in your 8×8 baking pan, and top with a few more chocolate chips if you'd like.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Then, remove from your oven and allow your brownies to cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
I hope you enjoy this healthy, vegan chickpea brownie recipe, adapted from Hello Spoonful, as much as I do!
Lastly, if you’re looking for more whole food, plant-based recipes to try — please download my free 5-day whole food, plant-based meal plan! This meal plan not only contains 5 plant-based breakfast recipes, 5 plant-based lunch recipes, and 5 plant-based dinner recipes — but it also contains a whole food, plant-based grocery shopping list and 10 quick, easy plant-based snack ideas!8