Going vegan is a really personal decision. After all, food is a really personal thing; we share meals with friends and family, and we use food as a means to feel connected to one another. Food is something we choose for ourselves every day. I decided to go vegan for a variety of reasons (Ten common reasons to be vegan can be found here!) each of which I’m super excited to share with you today! Once again, I completely understand how personal food can be, and while my goal is not to convince you to go vegan, I do hope you’ll come away with a fresh perspective or having learned something new about being vegan.
Why I Decided to Go Vegan
- Health: When Ben and I got married, we promised one another we’d live to be 120 years old and travel the world hand in hand. Although I can’t control the future, I can control how I eat and be sure the food I am consuming is more helpful than harmful. Helpful Articles: 7 Reasons to Choose a Plant-Based Diet by US News, The Hidden Benefits of Eating a Whole Foods Plant-Based Diet by Forks Over Knives, and 8 Smart Reasons to Go Vegan for Heart Health.
- Peace of Mind: Since going vegan, I’ve experienced greater peace of mind. Not only am I proud of the food I’m consuming, but I also feel the benefits of everything I’m consuming. My mind is clearer, my skin is brighter, and I have better endurance when exercising. Every whole food was created with a unique purpose and knowing how beneficial each food can be is really exciting.
- Animals: For several years, factory farming has been further explored and discussed — not only in the United States, but all over the world. I love animals so much, so learning about factory farming was and continues to be an eye-opening experience for me. Helpful Articles: 11 Facts About Animals and Factory Farms by DoSomething.org, Compassion for Animals by Vegan Society, 10 Alarming Facts About the Lives of Factory Farmed Animals.
So, what was it really like to make the decision to go vegan?
- Much easier than I believed it would be! Ben and I were visiting our family over a holiday weekend, and when we arrived, I said, “I think I’ll try being vegan — starting now!” And I haven’t looked back.
- More fun than I believed it would be. Since going vegan, I’ve tried so many new recipes and so many foods I had never tried before.
- So rewarding! I now see food as a way to be nourished, to be energized, and to be able to make the most of each day.