During winter in Wisconsin, the weather is so cold, I often daydream about living anywhere else. During summer, though, Wisconsin is my favorite place in the world. Since moving to Western Wisconsin in 2014, I have fallen in love with the beautiful scenery, slow-paced living, and endless opportunities to explore the outdoors. Today, I’m excited to share a few of my favorite Wisconsin getaways — just in time for spring and summer!
- Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Lake Geneva is one of my favorite Wisconsin getaways. It’s just a few minutes from Ben’s hometown, so while we were living in Southeastern Wisconsin, we were lucky enough to take day trips to Lake Geneva all year round. Lake Geneva is also where I completed my Student Teaching during Graduate School; I had an opportunity to teach students who were also refugees, which is one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve ever had. Beyond my personal reasons for loving Lake Geneva, it’s a beautiful city on a beautiful lake. There are lots of shops and restaurants – and a beautiful beach.
My favorite places: Lake Geneva Cruise Line, The Baker House, and The Riviera Beach.
- Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Before moving to Western Wisconsin, Chippewa Falls seemed like very far, very cold place. Now that Chippewa Falls is just a 30-minute drive from our house, it’s become one of my favorite places to go for a day trip. It’s incredibly beautiful, and is a really charming place. The scenery is beautiful, and it’s the perfect place for hiking, biking, and really enjoying the outdoors.
My favorite places: Olson’s Ice Cream and Irvine Park.
- Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. When I was younger, Wisconsin Dells was the best place to go for waterparks — but now, I love Wisconsin Dells for its parks, its scenery, and its delicious restaurants. (Okay, and it’s still fun to be touristy, too!)
My favorite places: Birchcliff Resort and Bella Goose Coffee.
- Door County, Wisconsin. Door County is another really beautiful place in Wisconsin. It’s a very popular place to go in summer, because of its beautiful scenery and amazing shops and restaurants. I haven’t traveled to Door County in several years, but their tourism Website is wonderful and a great resource for planning your trip there!
- Hudson, Wisconsin. Hudson, Wisconsin is on the Wisconsin-Minnesota border, and is situated right beside the river. There is a very quaint downtown area, filled with shops and restaurants. In summer, you can smell all of the delicious restaurants as you’re walking down the street, and the town is buzzing with people who are just out and about, enjoying the weather.
My favorite places: Pier Five Hundred and Knoke’s Chocolates.
There is nothing better than summer in Wisconsin, so I hope you’ll be encouraged to explore these beautiful places in Wisconsin!
Shop for Your Wisconsin Getaway